Sunday 15 March 2009

Tequila - Katy Albert / Helen

On Friday 6th March I visited the advertising agency Tequila in London where I met Katy Albert and her work colleague Helen (both ex stockport students) I went to Tequila in order to gain feedback on my portfolio and work and hope they could give me any advice about entering into the advertising industry. I found out that Katy and Helen have been work partners since University as they completed briefs at University together. They advised me to find a partner if I am planning on entering the advertising industry as it is hard to find jobs as an individual advertiser. I had never thought about this before as I have always worked on my own projects, I am now curious to work with someone in a project and bounce ideas. The Tequila office was relaxed with friendly staff and up lifting music. I had to wait for Katy and Helen to come out of a meeting for roughly 30 minutes whilst I waited anxiously in the reception. When I met them I recognised Helen as she used to play Squash in the hotel which I work for. This made me feel relaxed as I already knew Helen, it also gave me determination and admiration as I know only two years ago she was at Stockport College and coming to my workplace. This made me realise this could be myself in two years, and how well she has done for herself.

They both spent half an hour looking through my work and how I could develop certain areas, giving me advice to keep the hand drawn visuals in my portfolio as well as the finals as they said it was nice to see both, as they thought I had good computer skills as well as hand drawn visuals. They both commented on the fact that could understand that I had come from the 'graphics side' as they commented on my use of layout and typography and thought this was also a good quality to have in advertising or design. They both liked the competition brief for Berghaus and encouraged me to enter as many competitions as possible as they believe it is a good way to get noticed in the industry. They got their placement through winning a competition brief and got employed by Tequila. Throughout the London trip I gained some fantastic advice and feedback, meeting the people behind the work was a great experience and gaining advice from successful people is inspiring. I intend to keep in contact with Katy and Helen and they both agreed to see my final portfolio and also show me some of their recent work.

No comments: