Thursday 2 April 2009

Too many Design Graduates - Where do I belong?




As a student we are reminded throughout our degree that there are thousands of graduates a year competing to get that job that you have longed for, as well as graduates there are also existing designers out there having the same portfolio viewing. So how do we get noticed and how do we know as a student if the agency is right for us also?

I am currently torn between the two subjects of graphic design and advertising, after only tackling a few advertising briefs I am still apprehensive about which direction to take my career, also which agencies to approach. My theory is to apply for as many placements as possible, and feed my knowledge. I think this is key to graduates as placements are what could possibly lead to jobs and networking between agencies, it is the easy option to give up and start designing take away leaflets. Craig Oldham a graduate from Falmouth College only graduated in 2006 yet has had placements at: The Partners, Navyblue, Design Bridge and Creative Leap. He is currently employed by The Chase and I have also heard he maybe working with the design agency Music, so if he can achieve and become a successful graduate through hard work then why can’t I? I don’t think anyone can dishearten me and I know I will receive knock backs but it is all part of the process. Craig states ‘You’re swamped in uncertainty. Wondering if this course is better than that, if option a). has a better lifestyle than option b). Does Door Number 1 lead to a great career, Door Number 2 to an alright career and Door Number 3 to certain death? I know how it is. I’ve done it, been there.’

At the moment I currently believe that students even though fresh to the industry need to move around from agencies, and not necessarily take the first job offered and set standards high, taking on as many placements as possible and find the right agency for them. Whilst doing this we can establish the lazy, uninspiring fakers who call themselves ‘designers’ we see who actually has the determination, passion and enthusiasm for the subject. This is where we discover the people who are waiting for the clock to strike five and the people who can’t go home until the problem is solved or there curiosity settled, I believe in the saying that was used for an advert for the Economists, 'Great Minds like a think', hopefully agencies can spot the hard working, truthful graduates from the rest.

After viewing numerous informative lectures by Dan Ingram (Mark Studio), Steve Owen (McCann Erickson now at Love), Tom Shaugnessy (Glorious), Darren Scott and Jane Kaye (Truth) and Anthony Smith (Music) to name a few, the reoccurring issues that they indicate is the motivation to keep contacting agencies and not to settle for just one email but keep getting in contact every couple of weeks, even if its to comment on their work, to show that you are interested. In almost all of the lectures they have commented on the majority of their class finding different jobs and not continuing with Graphic Design. They have also gave comments on working from up to a year unpaid, this may seem as negative feedback however I think it shows the determination for the job that you want, especially if you enjoy the agency that you are working for.

I am aware of the current recession situation however jobs will be still available and I am not going to waste my passion and drive because of this. When I leave university I am striving to know what I want to do, who creates that type of work and feel confident and free to approach them. Whilst I attended a portfolio viewing with Ady Bibby from True North he commented that the recession could be a perfect opportunity for graduates as they are ‘cheaper’ than senior designers, he believed they are more likely to lose others members of the team and employ new young and inexpensive graduates. This makes me then question what happens in ten years time? Will the graduate then replace me? I think the industry is always striving for new talent so staying on top of your game, always learning, staying motivated and never becoming languid will ensure that you will always have a place n design, if your good enough.

A discussion asking students from the London College of Communication ‘Are design graduates motivated by success, passion or money?’ shows interesting viewpoints. Some students commented on their concerns whilst they are at their first placement or job. A student Marina Bowater states ‘I fear that I’ll be unable to practice conceptually, as I have been taught’, worries like being used as an art worker may de-motivate students. An argument discussing that the subject has become refined and we have the tools, techniques and inspiration from the past that we should be moving forward with design and there is really no excuse for bad design. The article covers subjects about the future and concerns it can be found here.

In answering this question I don’t seem to be concerned with the fact of can I get a job when I leave, I am keeping a positive attitude and asking the question where do I want to work when I leave? As well as determination, passion and hard graft hopefully the agencies that I wish to work for will like me, my work and my personality, Sarah Temple the lecturer from LCC said ‘remember you’re a person and not a portfolio’.

Is there any future for design students www.independent.co.uk

No comments: