Sunday 22 February 2009

Ady Bibby - True North



On Monday 9th February I contacted Ady Bibby form True North in Manchester, hoping that he could spare ten minutes to have a look over my portfolio and some third year work and a brief for YCN. I had contacted Ady before the Christmas period and he agreed to see my portfolio, however he had to cancel with me as he was too busy and he told me to contact him again in the New Year. When I did this he never replied to my emails so on Monday 9th I emailed him again in order to gain a response, I must have emailed him at the right time of the day as he emailed me back within minutes agreeing to a portfolio viewing and chat the next day at ten. This came, as a shock however was exciting to finally meeting him. He emailed the address and contact number as the True North website was down. I went the next day and had about an hour-long chat with Ady. He gave me some direction on my portfolio and suggested putting my work in a box and polishing it. As True North is heavily ideas based he commented on how the majority of my work was ideas rather than design and commented that this is a good strength to have. He made suggestions for the YCN brief to strengthen the idea and said it merely needs tweaking. We had a chat about which direction I might pursue when I leave University and I told him how I was thinking about Advertising and how I would love to visit places like TBWA, Leo Burnett and McCann Erickson. At the end of the chat Ady wrote a list of contacts and told me to contact them and tell them that Ady had recommended me, which is really helpful and he told me that he wanted me to return with my third year portfolio. An exciting experience!

No comments: